The Kansas City Chiefs were at the Wednesday morning practice for less than 30 minutes before an overhead lightning strike and immediate downpour moved practice inside.

The practice started an hour later than usual, with warm-ups starting at 9:15 a.m. The players did not wear pads for the shortened practice. The Chiefs managed to get stretching, some position work, and a few offensive 10-10-10 reps before the weather moved the rest of the practice inside to the Griffon Indoor Sports Complex, which houses a full-size football field.

Fans were only able to watch about 30 minutes before the practice was moved.

Several fans mumbled about being able to “at least see something” as they were directed out of the practice.

The Chiefs continued practice as planned indoors, but the practice was closed to everyone except media members.

The 10-10-10s gave the Chiefs players time to learn the new install they received last night, head coach Andy Reid said.

“(We) had a good practice today,” Reid said. “(It) was a lighter day but a big mental day as far as a big install last night that they had to indulge there and then come out here and function. With 10-10-10s, we service each other. “

So, offense services defense, defense services offense and you get into specific things you want to work on that particular day — that’s what today was.”

After practice, Reid said he wished they were able to practice outside.

“You saw those lightning bolts, I wouldn’t imagine anyone wanted to stay out there,” Reid said.

One of the advantages of hosting training camp at Missouri Western is having the $10.3 million Griffon Indoor Sports Complex right up the hill from the practice field.

“We’re lucky to have this, though,” Reid said, gesturing around the building.

Reid said the Chiefs were able to get up the hill quickly and get video set up to keep the pace of practice high.

Cornerback Kendall Fuller said there weren’t any major disruptions to moving the rest of practice inside “besides running up that hill.”

“That hill’s kind of steep,” Fuller said. “I ran up half of it, the other half I started walking.”

The Chiefs do not have practice today but are scheduled to return outdoors for practice tomorrow at 8:15 a.m.

Injury update

Wide receiver Tyreek Hill (quad contusion) and offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz (back) did not participate in practice due to previous injuries.

Hill hobbled off the field on Tuesday after a collision during an 11-on-11 block. He was taken up in a cart to the locker room.

Schwartz left practice early on Monday and has been suffering from back spasms since.

Wide receiver Gehrig Dieter also is out with a back injury. Safety Jordan Lucas and running back Damien Williams rounded out the injured-but-in-attendance group with hamstring injuries — Williams’ is qualified as hamstring spasms.

Reid confirmed Wednesday cornerback Keith Reaser tore his Achilles on Monday during the first padded practice. Reaser suffered a quad injury during the 2018 Chiefs Training Camp, and the Chiefs cut him with an injury settlement.

Amanda Sullivan can be reached at

Follow her on Twitter: @NPNowSullivan