Devan T. Newson

Devan T. Newson

ATCHISON, Kansas — More than 12 years in state prison was the fate handed to a 25-year-old Atchison, Kansas, man for his role in a 2018 home invasion along the outskirts of Atchison city limits.

Devan T. Newson was sentenced to 88 months with 36 months post-release supervision for aggravated robbery, and 59 months with kidnapping and 36 months of post-release supervision. The sentences are to run consecutively to one another. Newson is eligible for 15 percent good-time credits for both sentences.

He was additionally handed 18 months in prison for conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary with 24 months of post-release supervision concurrent to the two consecutive sentences. Newson also was ordered to register as a criminal offender, according to the statutory guidelines.

Newson’s involvement in the crime centered on his persuasion of others to participate in crimes that resulted in the unlawful entry of a home where a family was present. Two co-defendants entered the house on Aug. 29, 2018, for the purpose of taking control of thousands of dollars in a cash box.

After it was realized the home was occupied, Newson by cellphone directed the co-defendants to proceed with the plan. The family members were threatened and ordered to turn over all cellphones and get down on the floor.

A demand for the cash was made at gunpoint. After the co-defendants obtained the cash, they left the house and returned to the car where Newson and a female driver were waiting then turned the money over to Newson.

Prior to the announcement of sentences, Newson spoke on his own behalf and apologized for his actions.

“I am terribly sorry for the events of that night,” Newson said.

He added he was also sorry for the events that happened to the kids that night.

Atchison County Attorney Sherri Becker objected to any consideration of leniency because of the traumatic impact on the victims.

“They are horrified,” Becker said.

As Judge Robert Bednar started to announce Newson’s fate, the defendant walked out of the court room without permission. Jail staff escorted him back into court.

Court proceedings are pending for one of the co-defendants, Marcell M. Bailey, who is undergoing a competency evaluation and treatment at the Larned Mental Health Correctional Facility.

The second co-defendant, Brandon J. Williams pleaded guilty in the latter part of 2018 and is currently serving a 41-month sentence for aggravated burglary. As of yet, the driver of the vehicle has not been charged with any crime.

Mary Meyers can be reached