ATCHISON, Kansas — A manhunt is underway for a convicted violent felon suspected of shooting a man twice early Sunday morning near the site of an Atchison festival.

Kevin V. Maxey Jr., 31, of Atchison remained at large as of noon on Monday, following a raid of his home on Sunday evening by the Atchison Police Department Special Response Team, a tactical unit. Police didn’t find him there, Atchison Police Chief Mike Wilson said.

Anyone who has seen Maxey, or knows where he can be found, is asked to call 913-367-4323, Wilson said.

Wilson said officers and detectives have worked around the clock on the case since first responders went at 3 a.m. Sunday to the aid of a 42-year-old Atchison man in the 1100 block of North Eighth Street, immediately west of LFM Park in Atchison.

They found the victim to be suffering from two gunshots that caused life-threatening injuries, and took him to Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph, where he remained Monday. No up-to-date information on the victim’s condition has been released, but Wilson said on Sunday that he had improved.

Hundreds of revelers had gathered Saturday at LFM Park to celebrate the 14th Annual Atchison Juneteenth event. However, a Juneteenth organizer said, events had wrapped up by the time of the shooting.

“Our hearts go out to the victim and to (his) family,” said Nicole Thomas, chairwoman of the Atchsion Juneteenth Committee. “We are keeping them in our prayers.”

A series of events previously scheduled for Sunday occurred as normal at LFM Park, after the shooting, to conclude the festival.

Wilson said about 20 people had been gathered in the area of the crime scene. An argument at that location, mainly between two people, occurred before the firing of shots, which hit the victim, who had been in the area and isn’t believed to have had a role in the argument, Wilson said.

Wilson said authorities are interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence and conducting other investigative tasks. This ultimately led them to obtain an arrest warrant for Maxey, Wilson said.

Maxey has spent time behind bars in one location or another since October 2007, following a conviction for an Atchison aggravated robbery. After his release in 2008, a June 2010 attempted aggravated battery incident in Leavenworth County, Kansas, returned him to prison in May 2011. He encountered more criminal trouble in 2012, before his eventual December 2017 release from Kansas state custody.