Beginning today, the Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art will present a new exhibit of elegant bovines as well as a juried art show of real-life paintings. Details on Page B4
Grabbing Tigers by the tail
Missouri Western Griffons take home a victory upsetting No. 25 MIAA ranked Fort Hays State on home turf.
Details on Page C1
A juvenile court judge has found beyond a reasonable doubt that two allegations are true against a 10-year-old believed to be involved in the death of Cameron Satterley.
The boy is one of two juveniles who remained under investigation in the death 14-year-old Satterley, who died in a house fire on Feb. 20 and whose body was not discovered until April 25. A third minor was charged in the case, but a judge dismissed his charge for abandonment of a corpse in May.
However, the judge found there was enough evidence to believe the 10-year-old had committed the class A felony of arson and the class E felony of involuntary manslaughter. Details on what evidence was presented in court and what is believed to have happened the night of the fire are closed to the public because those involved are juveniles.
The preteen was originally charged with arson and abandonment of corpse, but the charges were amended to arson and involuntary manslaughter during court proceedings, according to Linda Meyer of the Buchanan County Juvenile Office.
A disposition hearing will be held Tuesday, Sept. 24, for the boy to determine whether he should be placed on probation or in the custody of the Buchanan County Academy or a Division of Youth Services program.
Meyer said a social investigative summary will be conducted to help the judge in this decision. Factors that go into the summary are history of school issues, legal trouble, substance abuse, diagnoses and family life, to name a few.
The other minor still involved in the case, who is 11, will not be appearing in court until Wednesday, Nov. 13.
An ongoing effort to make city properties more energy efficient is reaching the end of its first phase.
On Thursday, Mayor Bill McMurray and Council Members Brenda Blessing and Russell Moore met with contractor Schneider Electric to see how the project is going.
Midwest Team Leader for Schneider Peter Hinkle told the group that this phase of the project, which is expected to cost just under $5 million, could be finished by the end of October. The first phase is projected to save the city $221,864 per year in energy expenses.
The project was pitched in 2017 and work began last year.
Director of Public Works Andy Clements said the City Council had expressed a need to become more environmentally friendly in the city, while making their money go further on energy expenses.
“City Council really expressed a need and a desire to be sustainable and green in St. Joe,” Clements said. “Spending the dollar just because you have it isn’t really the way they wanted to go. They wanted to make some good investments that pay off where we could actually see some benefits down the road.”
This phase has involved updating HVAC systems at multiple city buildings including City Hall, the Missouri Theater, the Transit division, the Water Protection facility and more.
A control platform was created, connecting 14 city buildings in order to monitor and control those systems.
Schneider also has replaced light bulbs with energy efficient LED lights in multiple buildings and is waiting on energy efficient runway lights for Rosecrans Memorial airport to be delivered so they can be installed.
Plumbing also has been upgraded at multiple city facilities and Schneider has made efforts to seal gaps on doors and windows and joints around buildings.
The project will be paid for through bonds, but the savings on energy bills is expected to outweigh those costs.
“The principal of the bonds, along with the interest, is less than the overall savings in 20 years, so, that’s how the math works,” Clements said. “There’s not extra money being used, it’s turning that energy dollar that’s not being spent wisely into a capital dollar that saves you money down the line.”
Schneider projects that $6.1 million will be saved by year 20 from the first phase of this project. They guarantee those savings.
Clements said future phases will include looking at the Water Protection facility, where high-energy equipment costs the city around $1 million per year in electricity.
Upgrades to fire departments also are being planned.
A local salon owner hopes to tackle head lice in St. Joseph by providing a space dedicated to treatment services.
Mindy Dawson, owner of Rumours Salon on St. Joseph Avenue, said she noticed a recent uptick of people coming into her salon with lice.
“It’s not just elementary schools, it’s spreading into our middle schools and high schools, our colleges,” Dawson said. “It’s kind of rampant in our community, whether it’s spoken out or not.”
The City of St. Joseph Health Department has not seen an increase of lice, although that doesn’t mean it’s not the case since the department does not provide medical treatment for lice.
“We can’t prescribe medicine since we don’t have a doctor on staff,” clinic supervisor Connie Werner said. “We have not necessarily seen an uptick. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, it’s just something we’re not seeing.”
Dawson, a mother of five, said part of the problem is a school policy change. Schools in the St. Joseph School District no longer routinely perform lice checks, although students who are found to be infested with live bugs may still be sent home.
“That, in turn, is putting the responsibility on the parents,” Dawson said. “Sometimes parents or guardians don’t have the funds or physical ability to treat their children’s hair.”
The best way to tackle lice is prevention, according to Werner.
“Teach your child that you don’t have to share everything, you don’t have to have a little friend try on your hat, or have your coat right up against someone else’s coat,” she said.
If a child catches lice, Werner said it’s important to treat as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
“Whatever method you’re using, make sure to follow the instructions to the degree and make sure you’re in communication with the school,” she said.
Dawson would like to offer treatment for head lice, but health code prevents her from performing any services on someone with lice in her regular salon space.
“It’s against code, so I said, ‘What am I going to do about this problem?’” she said. “I would like to provide a place and I just happen to have a small building located in the same parking lot as my salon.”
Before Dawson can turn the building into a treatment space, it needs roof and plumbing work. To cover the cost of repairs and treatment equipment and supplies, she hopes to raise $5,000.
“All the money received from the fundraiser is going to fixing the building and for products and for tools that are needed,” Dawson said.
Dawson’s space would be the first treatment center in St. Joseph.
“It’s a service that has been around, it just hasn’t made it to St. Joe. Kansas City has a few head lice removal salons,” she said.
Eventually, Dawson hopes to raise enough funds to be able to offer free treatments to community members in need.
“Sometimes in the beauty industry, it’s not about offering services to beautify a person. Sometimes, you want to be able to help with that confidence of not being infested,” she said.
To find the fundraiser, visit www.facebook.com/rumours.salon.
HOUSTON — The three leading Democratic presidential candidates clashed over health care, immigration and President Barack Obama’s legacy on Thursday in a fierce debate that pitted an aggressive Joe Biden against liberal rivals Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.
“This is America,” said Biden, his party’s early front-runner, before calling Sanders “a socialist.” He later declared, “I stand with Barack Obama all eight years, good bad and indifferent.”
The top White House hopefuls faced off for the first time alongside seven other candidates who are under increasing pressure to break out of the pack. All assailed President Donald Trump without mercy.
New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker called Trump a racist. Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke called him a white supremacist. And Kamala Harris, a California senator, said Trump’s hateful social media messages provided “the ammunition” for recent mass shootings.
“President Trump, you have spent the last two-and-a-half years full time trying to sow hate and vision among us, and that’s why we’ve gotten nothing done,” Harris declared.
The Democrats primary contest has been remarkably stable, but the debate comes at a pivotal point in the campaign as more voters move past their summer vacations and begin to pay closer attention to politics.
Polls show that a strong majority of all voters believe the country is headed in the wrong direction under the first-term president’s leadership. But nine months into their nomination fight, divided Democrats have yet to answer fundamental questions about who or what the party stands for beyond simply opposing Trump.
The debate is shaped by evolving issues of race, gender, generation and ideology that again exploded into public view on the debate stage Thursday night.
Obama himself emerged as a hot point as the discussion shifted to health care and immigration in particular.
Sanders said Biden, Obama’s two-term vice president, bears responsibility for millions of Americans going bankrupt under the “Obamacare” health care system.
Biden slapped back at both Sanders and Warren and contended they haven’t yet explained how they would pay for Sanders’ government-backed “Medicare for All” health care plan.
Castro, who served as Obama’s housing chief, kept the pressure on the front-runner.
The 44-year-old Texan appeared to touch on concerns about Biden’s age when he accused the former vice president of forgetting a detail about his own health care plan. At 76, Biden would be the oldest president ever elected to a first term.
“Are you forgetting what you said two minutes ago?” Castro asked. “I can’t believe that you said two minutes ago that you have to buy in and now you’re forgetting that.”
He added: “I’m fulfilling the legacy of Barack Obama and you’re not.”
The ABC News debate was the first limited to one night after several candidates dropped out and others failed to meet new qualification standards. A handful more candidates qualified for next month’s debate, which will again be divided over two nights.
Besides the infighting, viewers saw the diversity of the modern Democratic Party.
The debate, held on the campus of historically black Texas Southern University, includes women, people of color and a gay man, a striking contrast to the Republicans. It unfolded in a rapidly changing state that Democrats hope to eventually bring into their column.
The debate shifted to gun violence in a state shaken by a mass shooting last month that left 22 people dead and two dozen more wounded.
In an emotional moment, O’Rourke said that there weren’t enough ambulances at times to take all the wounded to the hospital.
“Hell yes, we’re gonna take your AR-15, your AK-47,” he said, as the crowd cheered.
Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar noted that all the candidates on stage favor a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. She favors a voluntary buy-back program on assault weapons, however.
Meanwhile, Trump noted he’d be in Baltimore at a Republican retreat during the debate and wasn’t sure he’d get a chance to watch. But he predicted the Democratic nominee would ultimately be Biden, Warren or Sanders.
“It’s going to be very interesting,” Trump said. “I’m going to have to watch it as a re-run.”
The leading Democratic candidates may not have another chance to face off for quite some time.
The Democratic field may be divided into two groups when they meet in October because more than 10 candidates qualified for the next round.