Sounds of Summer Schedule
The St. Joseph Downtown Association is proud to host St. Joseph’s most popular Friday free outdoor concert series, Sounds of Summer from 5 to 9:30 p.m. Last year, planners added an opening act at the concessions building prior to the main stage band at the gazebo at Coleman Hawkins Park at Felix Street Square. Sunshine Electronic Display is the presenting sponsor of the series again this year. Once again the series offers a solid line-up of bands sure to entertain every week!
- June 22nd – Opening Act: Tom Mayfield & Scott Brunette, Russell Gummelt on bagpipes Main Stage: Flannigan’s Right Hook High Energy, Irish-Infused Rock The Ancient Order of Hibernian’s will be hosting the Celtic Street Faire in conjunction with Sounds of Summer. This event will celebrate Irish Heritage and offer wine, beer and alcohol tastings in addition to great Irish entertainment!
- June 29 – Opening Act: Stephanie Gummelt and Bill Hoffman Main Stage: Under the Influence This popular electric group will entertain you with rock hits from the 70s, 80s and more!
- July 13 – Opening Act: Kalani Main Stage: The Motors This band plays an eclectic mix of rock, blues, country and american classics.
- July 20 – Opening Act: Brent Isom Main Stage: Royal Absinthe Company Rock, metal and favorite tunes.
- July 27 – Opening Act: Odd Benders Main Stage: Swift Kik Kik it with the best in classic rock.
- Aug. 3 – Opening Act: Shitty Beatles Main Stage: B.O.C.C. St. Joseph’s own totally 80s rock and pop band.
Imagine 11 Concert Series
Entertainment is plentiful downtown as the Imagine 11 Concert Series continues on Sunday nights from 6 to 8:30 p.m. The following is this year’s lineup:
- June 17 – Opening Act: Brent Isom Headliner: 5 Star Jazz Band June 24: Opening Act: Open Mic Headliner: Lyin’ Eyes
- July 1 – Opening Act: Tom Keller Headliner: Under the Big Oak Tree
- July 8 – Opening Act: Restoration Band Headliner: The Center State
- July 15 – Opening Act: Jerry Rodriguez Headliner: Wildwood
- July 22 – Opening Act: Stephanie Gummelt Headliner: Bill Hoffman and the Firebabies
- July 29 – Opening Act: Roger Price Headliner: Valentine & The Knights
- Aug. 5 – Opening Act: Phil Vandel Headliner: Atlantic Express
- Aug. 12 – Opening Act: Shawn Minter Headliner: Soca Juke Box
New Sculpture Art Displayed
Once again, an eclectic mix of new sculpture art is on display downtown. The walking tour of the sculptures features the work of artists from across the country. All sculptures are owned by the artists and loaned to the sculpture walk for one year.
Organized and sponsored by the Allied Arts Council, the project expenses are covered by in-kind services and private funds generated by sponsorships and marketing investments.
Due to a partnership with Buchanan County, two new sculptures will be added to the permanent collection this year. The bronze statue “Stand by the Flag” by artists Lee Leuning & Sherri Treeby will be on display at the Buchanan Count Courthouse and the forged steel statue “A Bird May Love a Fish, but Where Would They Live?” by Stacey Rathert will remain on display at Mosaic Life Care’s parking lot at Seventh and Edmond. Eight sculptures are now on permanent display downtown.
Patrons are encouraged to pick up a brochure and tour the new sculptures. Once complete, they can vote for their favorite. The winner will be given the “People’s Choice” award at the end of January. Group tours are also available by calling the Allied Arts Office at 816-233-0231.